Monday, July 9, 2007

First Day at KBMJ

This will be my second time in Tokyo, the first coming at the beginning of Golden Week a couple of months ago. I still remember my first impressions of the city as the Shinkansen made its way into Tokyo. The gentle female voice announcing in proper British English that "very soon we will be making a brief stop in Shinagawa before arriving in Tokyo" stirred me from my sleep and as I awoke, I took a look outside the window. The Shinkansen had already slowed to snake its way through the giant glass and steel buildings, beautiful and impressive in the early afternoon sunlight. Little did I know that in a couple of months I would be working in one of those buildings! KBMJ, my company, has offices on the 14th and 16th floors of the Shidome Sumitomo Building (汐留住友ビル). After getting off the train in Shinagawa, correctly Transferring to the Yamanote Line, getting off on the wrong stop, getting back on the train to get off at the right stop, navigating nearly a mile of poorly marked underground pedestrian walkway, we made it back to the impressive building we passed on the Shinkansen. Mr. Moriwaki from the HR department met us and after taking care of some paperwork and a brief introduction, we were sent to find our apartments in nearby Akihabara.

No comments: