Tuesday, July 10, 2007

自己紹介

Every Tuesday morning KBMJ holds a company-wide meeting. Everyone more or less works in a single open room so such a meeting is fairly easy to hold — a portable PA system is set up and people stand in front of their desks to listen to announcements and introductions. Everyone tends to pay close attention (as you might expect in a Japanese company), so it was very noticeable when Richard and I walked in a few minutes late to our first real day of work. Unfortunately, this embarrassment didn't save us from the task of giving short self introductions very shortly thereafter. (Hello, my name is Jeffrey. I'm a 3rd year student at Stanford majoring in computer science. I'm from Utah. doozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.) After the company-wide meeting was over, I was shown my desk and introduced to my supervisors. I had barely sat down when a brand new MacBook was handed to me, mine to use for the summer. I don't think I could have been more excited to get started! The only bad thing about this is that I'll have to give it back in 2 months. I spent the rest of the day configuring my new computer, installing software, and learning to type on a Japanese keyboard (ALL of the punctuation is in a different place and THERE IS NO BACKSLASH). I was also given the task of learning Ruby, a programming language that has gained some popularity recently, and my neighbor, Shin, helped me get my computer set up for developing in Ruby on Rails, KBMJ's framework of choice for writing web applications. Altogether it was a good first day of work.

1 comment:

dpong said...

Yeah, I had to do a 10 min 自己紹介 with a powerpoint in front of everyone yesterday. I got a few laughs hopefully at what I was saying and not my bad grammar. I could imagine Yamada-san making her particle gestures throughout the whole thing.