Saturday, September 15, 2007

「日本はどう?」

Where one might ask "did you have a good time?" in English, in Japanese, the question I usually hear is a more open-ended "how was it?" My 3-year-old equivalent vocabulary seems to cover most cases well enough; I tend to stick with using "good" or "fun", sometimes throwing them both together for "goodfun", and this seems to be sufficient. But yesterday, when a coworker asked, "How was Japan?", it was not my vocabulary that made answering difficult. How can I sum up five months of exploring, traveling, studying, sightseeing, working, learning, and living in Japan? "Goodfun" just doesn't seem to do it justice. Tomorrow I will return home and although I am very much looking forward to the comfort of familiar places and people, I will miss this place and these people.


I don't think I would have it any other way.


Goodbye Japan. Thanks for all the goodfun times.

No comments: