Monday, June 25, 2007

Phrase of the Day

Today, while riding on the bus on my way to school, I stood next to a woman who was reading a book for learning English. The book had one conversation for each day of the year and today's conversation was between a pair of travelers. It went something like this:
A: Beautiful day, isn't it?
B: Yeah it is. You're up early.
A: I had some time so I repacked my backpack
B: I see. Well, I can't hike on an empty stomach so I bought some beef jerky. Want some?
A: No thanks, I'll order room service

I couldn't help smiling at the very Japanese-like English conversation, and be impressed with this woman's determination to learn English. I can only imagine what I look like when I whip out my kanji flashcards on the bus to practice for the next day's quiz.

No comments: