Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Technical Difficulties

A few days ago, the computer I brought to Japan started running really really slowly. I spent most of Sunday troubleshooting the problem, trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally, the Intel Processor ID Utility gave me an answer.

Expected CPU Speed: 2.4GHz.  Actual CPU Speed: 0.31GHz.  I think we have a problem here.
Yes, that's correct, the Intel Pentium 4 processor in this computer, which is capable of running at 2.4GHz, has slowed down to a crawl, puttering along at a measly 0.31GHz. Great. This computer would be state-of-the-art in, oh, 1998. Of course, the computer still turns on, but since the processor is so slow (it can't even keep up with my typing -- I have to periodically pause to let it catch up), everything actually takes 8 times as long. That doesn't seem too bad, I suppose. Let's see, quick estimate... I should be able to get everything I was planning to do in the next 4 months done by about, uhm, 2011.

Hoping this was a software problem, I downloaded the latest drivers and utility updates from Toshiba. Installation went smoothly, but after rebooting, I was faced with the following message.

Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected.  Please turn of the computer immediately and return it for service.
Fantastic. The computer I brought to Japan, which is not even mine (my laptop broke the day before I left; on such short notice I was fortunate enough to be able to bring my dad's), basically doesn't work and there appears to be no way for me to fix it.

Someday I will have a computer that actually works. Until then, this blog is officially on hiatus.

No comments: